Tuesday, April 24, 2012


Week 29 - April 23, 2012
  • Sagamihara
Aloha,
It's the first day of this transfer and I'm still in Sagamihara! Elder Richmond is staying here too, but it's now a two-man area. It's been a little crazy working to be sure that there is a smooth hand-off of everyone the other companionship has been working with. It's a little overwhelming receiving all of their investigators, etc, but we're definitely grateful for the opportunity and responsibility! On Saturday after we received our transfer calls, we jointed with the other elders so that we could get to know one of their investigators. It was a great lesson on the Atonement and Gospel of Christ, and we set a baptismal date for 5/12. He's a really great guy and seems like a really strong investigator. From here we'll work to keep his transition to us teaching him as smooth as possible. The ward’s help and participation will play a big role. Elder Richmond and I will also need to work harder to keep our eikaiwa and outreach activities going. In order to keep both eikaiwa classes (beginner and advanced) we'll need a few more members there each week because we can't teach two classes with just two elders. But we're excited, and ready to work!

Other than that, it's been a pretty short week since I wrote last, because we had P-day and went to the temple on Tuesday. The other three elders and I participated in seminary on Wednesday and Friday morning. It starts at 6:00 am here. Sagamihara ward actually has the largest seminary class in Japan, with about 23 students and a few other members each morning. Most seminaries in Japan are just done in a member’s home with a few students. Elder Richmond and I are planning on going to seminary each Tuesday and Thursday from now on. It's such a great way to build a better relationship with the youth of the ward.

Wednesday night's eikaiwa was fun. We had a lady come with her son and son's friend. Elder Richmond called her while we were doing area book dendo. We'll need to schedule a shoukai (introductory) lesson with her this upcoming Wednesday. We only taught Okamoto kyoudai once this week (Friday) because it was raining the other times we were supposed to meet. He's continuing to progress, slowly but surely. He comes to church every Sunday, but doesn't read or pray daily as of now. I think he'll realize their importance in time.

For Saturday night outreach we had a "teamwork game night." We played three games that involve teamwork, then brought out the takkyu (ping-pong) table because we wanted to play fufu (blowing) ping-pong again. It was a fun night. This upcoming Saturday we're planning a game in which two teams have a few hundred chopsticks and rubber bands and need to build the tallest and strongest tower. I'll report on how that goes next Monday!

So it's the start of another transfer. I love my mission and I love the gospel! I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to help children of God everyday as a full-time missionary. And I'm grateful to be able to learn Japanese along the way!  It's definitely difficult at times, but I enjoy it, and look forward to the day when I can speak comfortably. I'm grateful for a loving and supportive family. I'm so grateful to be sealed to my family. Let us all work together to ensure that there are no empty chairs in the Celestial Kingdom! When you have a little time, read or watch the general conference talks. They will help and bless you. God leads and guides us!  Thank you.  I love you.  Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Rindlisbacher



P.S. A picture of my district this last transfer is attached. From left to right, top: Me, Elder Kerr (my kohai), Elder Richmond (my companion), Elder Igarashi (district leader, used to be in Sagamihara with us, helped me a lot with my Japanese), Elder Barino sticking his head out (from Hanapepe, Kauai), Elder Campbell (zone leader) behind Elder Barino, Elder Nelson (zone leader) sitting on the far right. Bottom: Sister Lundy (my MTC group), Sister Derricott (Kent Derricott's daughter), Elder Piland (used to be in Sagamihara with us, my MTC group) standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment