Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Week 77 - April 2, 2013 

Aloha,
That's too bad about the vandalism in the church, especially in the chapel. How was the ward? It might seem cliché or overused, but lately I've thought a lot about, "What would Jesus do?" In that situation as well, I'm sure it would help a lot to honestly think about that question. I think it's most definitely a lot more sad for those who decided to do it. Like the scripture says, wickedness never was happiness.

On a similar note, I've also been thinking lately about Moses 1:39, a very well-known scripture in the church, "For behold, this is my work and my glory  to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." This is God's purpose. He is completely unselfish. His entire purpose is all about us. So how can we ever hope to become like God if that is not our purpose as well? "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." (Psalms 82:6.) We are the literal children of God, and have the potential, just as earthly children can become like their parents, to become like God  which is joy. 2 Nephi 2:25, another oft-quoted scripture reads, "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." Taking a look at the footnotes under joy, we see, Joy; Man, Potential to Become like Heavenly Father. Joy is our ability to become like Heavenly Father! To do that, our purpose in all we do should be the same as His. When the purpose of all we do is the happiness and eternal life of our family and our friends, along with everyone else in the world, we can truly be joyous! I've probably sent this before, but our mission scripture is Doctrine and Covenants 128:22, "Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?" Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad." It's very fitting of the mission culture President Budge is developing here.

Anyway, I'm so happy to hear that Papa attended sacrament meeting on Sunday! I always put his name on the prayer roll in the temple when we go every six weeks.

We had a great week in Hibarigaoka. It was my last there, as I've transferred and am in another area. I transferred from Hibarigaoka to an area called Kanagawa in Yokohama Stake. My companion is Elder Hill from just outside of Detroit, Michigan and we're the zone leaders for this zone. There are 17 missionaries in the zone, including three sister missionaries, and a senior couple. I just arrived here yesterday evening but we've been very busy working to get this transfer off well. Elder Hill and I were in the MTC at the same time for about 6 weeks, and he came to Japan just after me.

This past Sunday I was able to perform the confirmation of Erina Adachi, who was was baptized the Sunday before. I sent a picture last week. It was an amazing experience and opportunity. I wrote all I could remember from the blessing in my journal. She's 17, and will be a great new member!

My time in Hibarigaoka was so blessed. I felt so much love as I said goodbye's to ward members. A member of the bishopric gave me a DVD of pictures he made of the time I was there, and Erina-chan who was just baptized made a nice photo album that she gave me. So much great memories, so much learning and growth, and many, many miracles seen.

I'm really excited for the future and my time here in Kanagawa. It could be my last area if I stay for five transfers (7.5 months.) We'll have to see.

I love you!! Have a great week!!

Love,
Elder Rindlisbacher

No comments:

Post a Comment